Saturday 24 October 2015

Blackpool 2015 Road Trip

Hello Everybody!

You may or may not have noticed, I've been a bit AWOL this past week.

These past couple of days my family and I took a mini excursion to Blackpool. We've not had any time off together this entire year, so when we finally did we thought it would be nice to get away for a little bit!


I'm not really sure why we chose Blackpool - I think my mum wanted to go as she'd never been before. It's a three hour drive from where we live in Scotland so we drove up on Thursday morning, took Rhys to the Sealife Centre in the afternoon, watched the Blackpool Illuminations, and had dinner along the seafront in the evening. We stayed at The Lawton Hotel which was roughly a ten minute easy walk from the town centre/seafront, and then on Friday my mum and I really wanted to head to Primark (I'll be showing you guys my Blackpool Primark Haul in my next post!) in the morning, and take my son Rhys along the seafront for ice cream and to the arcade to go on all the rides in the afternoon. We also won him a giant George Pig toy which is as big as he is but he absolutely loves it!

Here's Rhys just chilling watching Peppa Pig on my iPad when we first arrived at the hotel!


For comparison purposes - my son is an 18 month old toddler. Look at the size of the crab in the Sealife Centre!


Rhys enjoying the teacups!


Waiting patiently for his dinner at Captain Jack's!


I didn't get any pictures of The Lawton, where we stayed, as we took all our luggage up with us to our first visit to the room, so by the tone I'd thought to take a picture the room was just chock full with bags and suitcases, and I didn't want to give an unfair representation of the room. I do recommend it though, it was friendly, served breakfast in the morning, the beds were comfortable and it was only £60 for 4 people overnight. We all agreed we'd definitely stay there again. We also met an absolutely lovely Czechoslovakian couple with three kids, an 11 year old boy (who I've forgotten the name of), a 9 year old girl, Selma, and a 3 year old, Sienna. I spent most of late Thursday evening in the hotel common room playing mega Jenga with Selma, who was crazy good and very competitive, and is easily the loveliest 9 year old I've ever met. All of the adults were drinking, buying beer and chatting, and my stepdad and Selma's dad played a few rounds of pool as well, while I played with Selma and Rhys (in between my gulps of Malibu and Coke!). It was just so social and nice to meet such friendly people! The family were also leaving Friday morning, which was a shame, but before they left they gave us their tickets to the Blackpool Tower Ballroom, as they'd wanted to visit but hadn't had the time on their holiday, which was so nice of them! 

The best part about the trip for both me and my mum, and I'd say Rhys too, was visiting the Blackpool Tower Ballroom. My mum and I were really excited about going, as we know a few episodes of Strictly Come Dancing were televised there and we're huge fans of Strictly! We had such a lovely time in the Blackpool Tower Ballroom, it's a huge ballroom, obviously, and it's so ornate and beautifully structured! There was a musician playing an organ to the rumba, the cha cha cha, the pasa doble, the charleston, and many other songs. The best bit was that it was so lively, there weren't many people sitting down, there were so many couples dancing and a lot of them danced as a hobby and had beautiful gold dancing shoes. It was just so fun and active, no one was shy about dancing in front of an audience. My mum, Rhys and I sat down for an afternoon tea, of egg mayonnaise, and ham and cheese sandwiches, scones, strawberry tarts, and tea while we watched everyone dancing and it was such a lovely way to spend the afternoon! My mum wants us to take her back there for her birthday, it was really good fun! Also, you weren't allowed to take pictures in the building but I took a sneaky few for you because I really wanted you to see what it was like! 


I took a few obligatory snaps of the seafront as well, because you can't go to a seaside town without taking pictures of the sea! All in all, it was a lovely trip and really nice to get away!



Hope you guys are having a lovely weekend,

Lots of Love,

Sam x

No comments:

Post a Comment