Wednesday 2 September 2015

The Best Hummus In The World Ever! (100% Vegan!)

Never in my life have I ever been a 'hummus person'. I've never liked shop bought hummus. Years ago, when one of my cousins went vegan, she ate carrot sticks and celery with hummus like it was going out of fashion. She would have them as a side with practically everything. I would watch in awe as she would easily chow down a whole tub of hummus, a whole bag of carrots, and she'd STILL be hungry. Let's also gain the perspective that she was skinny as a twig, and I often had to contemplate where it all went... It literally was not fair that she could eat so much and still be so skinny! (Let's be honest, it's every girls dream). 

As you know, I recently went vegan. I'm going to let you in on a little secret here. It's the answer to everything! My skin looks better, I feel healthier, I'm far less bloated, and I get to eat absolutely loads. Plus, it's obviously much kinder on animals and the environment, so it really has been awesome for me.

In today's post, I wanted to share with you my hummus recipe. For someone who didn't like hummus, this has changed everything. I make it up at least weekly now, and eat it with anything savoury. I personally really like it hot, with vegan pitta breads, olives, and sundried tomatoes. 


This was today's lunch. I'm going away tomorrow so I'm lacking a lot of food in my house! There was no point in doing a food shop so I decided that I would just eat whatever was in the cupboards. Usually I'd put it with so many other things so I'm sorry that today it's a bit basic! 

My hummus is a little bit spicy, warming and full of flavour. I like to eat it when it's freshly cooked, and at it's best.

Hummus Recipe

Ingredients
Can of chickpeas
Olive oil
Ginger garlic (you can get this in a jar in the world food section at any supermarket)
Paprika powder
A sprinkle of chilli flakes
Cracked black pepper
Salt
Lime juice
Sesame seeds

Firstly, cook the chickpeas in water in a saucepan until they are cooked (this will be when the skin starts to come away). Then drain the chickpea water away and then put the chickpeas in a blender. Add about half a cup of olive oil, half a cup of sesame seeds, and about a teaspoon each of ginger garlic, paprika powder, and chilli flakes. Sprinkle a little salt and pepper, and add a dash of lime juice. Blend it up to your liking, and eat while hot or cold! 

Hope you guys enjoyed this post! 

Sam x



No comments:

Post a Comment