Thursday 17 April 2014

Kitchen haul!

Hey guys! So, I wanted to do a different post today - I hope you don't mind! I've been having a real urge of late to bake something, but with a newborn it's difficult to find the time! Luckily, today I did manage to make time as Elijah's been sleeping so well! 
I bought a few new baking bits today, as when I had looked at my old loaf tins and not seen much else I was feeling very uninspired - but when I went to the shops today I saw loads of cute baking equipment, and bought pretty much everything in the range! Look how pretty it is! I bought a dry-ingredient sifter, measuring cups, a spatula, and weighing scales, all in a pretty pastel mint colour, and an oven mitt, and two new tea towels. Everything I bought is matching and it's just going to look so pretty in my kitchen, I can't wait to set it all up nicely! 


I really love loaf cakes, they are my favourite type of cake as they're just so easy to make, it's not a "fussy" bake, and they always look really good when you sprinkle some dried fruit, nuts and seeds on top, and let it brown a little. So, as I managed to find a spare half hour to make a cake, I decided to make a breakfast loaf, as I don't always find time to eat breakfast in the mornings as my son's needs come at a much higher priority. 


I put raisins, sultanas, and dried chopped apricots into the cake mixture, and topped it with pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, and a few more raisins. I had wanted to add some honey as well, but I didn't have any in the cupboards so I just made it without! 
It's just such an easy and cheap thing to make, I did just use Tesco's value range cake mix and dried fruit, which I think cost me around 67p in total? The seeds were slightly more expensive at around £2 each but they are decently sized pots so they do last for a good few bakes! 
I know, I know, it's terrible to admit I used a cake mix packet - but I haven't actually found a good basic cake recipe that works for me yet! Also, I don't really have the time right now to experiment with cake recipes, I just need the recipe to work, and edible results within half an hour! 

So, here is my breakfast loaf cake, and my new baking purchases, and I really hope you are now feeling inspired to bake something! I hope you're having a great week!

Sammii-Jane x




No comments:

Post a Comment