Thursday 5 November 2015

Cheap and Easy Meals for Weight Loss

Hello Everybody!

Today I'm going to share with you my favourite recipes for weight loss. These are super easy, really cheap, and very nutritious! These recipes are what my diet is based on, and so far I've lost fourteen pounds on it so I'm going to continue doing it!    

1. Tomato, Basil, and Paprika Soup Recipe:


Ingredients
A dozen fresh tomatoes (I buy the Family Pack in Iceland)
A handful of diced sweet potatoes
200g fresh basil
2 diced garlic cloves
1 heaped tsp smoked paprika powder
1.5L vegetable stock (Kallo Cubes are vegan)
Salt and pepper to taste
A squeeze of lemon juice (fresh is best!)
1 tsp sugar

Method
I start by boiling the kettle and preparing the vegetable stock first. While I'm waiting for the kettle to boil, I start chopping up the tomatoes into eighths. I tend to leave the skin on, as it's going to be blended at the end so it isn't even noticeable. I then start dicing the garlic, and I put that into my slow cooker, along with the tomatoes, and stock. I really like to use sweet potatoes in this recipe as they're healthy, but still also a carb so they make you feel fuller, and the texture thickens the soup which works really, really well. I then add in all the other ingredients to the pot, place the lid on, and leave it for 4-5 hours on high. Just before serving, I put the mixture into the blender, and blend it for a couple of minutes until it's all smooth. I also like to finely shred a few basil leaves to garnish for a splash of extra colour.

2. Thai Spiced Pumpkin Soup

Ingredients:
A 1.5kg pumpkin
1 white onion
1 can of coconut milk
1 tsp ginger garlic paste (you can get this in the world foods aisle in Tesco)
2 spring onions
1 red chilli, deseeded and sliced finely
A dash of soy sauce
A dash of lemon juice
Salt and pepper to taste

Method:
In a saucepan, start by frying your diced white onion in a tablespoon of vegetable oil. Add in the filling of the pumpkin, I just scoop it out and straight into the pan! Let these sweat for a few minutes while you chop up the spring onions, and the chilli. Remember with the chilli, it's important to wash your hands thoroughly straight after! And in the spring onions and the chilli to the pan, and once they're also sweated down til they're soft, add in your teaspoon of ginger garlic, the dash of lemon, the dash of soy sauce, and your coconut milk. Cook on a medium heat for a further five to ten minutes until piping hot, and pour the mixture into your blender. Blend until smooth, and you can also use the finely sliced chilli, and spring onions, to garnish (optional).

3. Mango and Banana Smoothie


This is so easy it doesn't really even need a recipe. You just pop ingredients into a blender and you're done! I like to cut up a whole mango in to chunks, two bananas, and put those in a blender. I like to use tropical juice to fill it up just enough so that it covers the fruit. I then add in a few ice cubes, and blend until smooth. Generally, I like to pour mine into jars, so that there is enough for me and Rhys, and I can drink it on the go. I'm busy a lot so I like to make sure I have something I can take with me.


4. Blueberry, Strawberry, and Cranberry Smoothie

Ingredients
Fresh blueberries
Fresh strawberries
Cranberry juice 

Method
Add a cup of blueberries, and a cup of strawberries into your blender. Top up with cranberry juice so that the fruit is just covered. Blend it on the highest setting to make sure it's all visibly smooth, and serve.

5. Two Boiled Eggs and Asparagus


Ingredients
2 fresh eggs
Asparagus

Method
Boil water in a saucepan until it's bubbling hot. While this is boiling, start grilling your asparagus. I personally like using my George Foreman Grill for this but you could use it under a standard oven grill, as long as you keep an eye on it! When the water is boiled, using a large spoon, submerge the eggs in the water and cook for five minutes. Scoop out and put into egg cups. I use a teaspoon to open up the top!

P.S. I don't always serve mine with crusty bread as it's not particularly healthy, but on treat nights I love it!

6. Tuna Protein Plate (No Cooking Required!)


Ingredients
A can of mixed beans
A can of tuna in spring water
Fresh spinach

Method
Open the can of mixed beans and drain using a sieve. Wash the beans under the tap in cold water to get rid of the salty liquid in the tin. Chop up your fresh spinach leaves however you like, and open and drain the can of tuna as well. Place your ingredients on a plate and it's ready to eat! I like to drizzle soy sauce over mine so that it's like an oriental bento box.

7. Chicken, Avocado and Mango Wrap

Ingredients
Brown Tortilla Wrap
An Avocado
A Mango
Chicken pieces (I use Quorn chicken pieces as I'm pescetarian) 
Salt and pepper to season 

Method
In a frying pan, fry your chicken pieces in a teaspoon of vegetable oil on a medium heat for around ten minutes, stirring occasionally so it doesn't burn. Cut open the avocado and mango and scoop out the fruit. Mash together into a bowl and season with salt and pepper. Spread over your tortilla wrap, and place your cooked chicken on top in equal portions, and wrap your tortilla around the filling. I cut mine in half so it's easier to eat!

8. Baked Salmon and Broccoli

Ingredients
Fresh salmon portion
Salt and pepper to taste
Fresh or frozen broccoli

Method
Preheat your oven to gas mark 6/220 degrees.  Wrap your seasoned salmon portion in tin foil and bake for around 25 minutes. While this is in the oven, boil some water in a saucepan, wait for it to bubble so you know it's boiling, and add in your broccoli portion. Boil for five to ten minutes. Once your salmon portion is cooked you can serve up, so use a spatula to transfer it to your plate, and drain the water from your broccoli with a sieve bedore serving that up with it. 


9. Strawberry, Banana and Blueberry Dessert Pot

Ingredients
A handful of fresh strawberries
A handful of fresh blueberries
A whole banana
Natural yoghurt
Chopped walnuts
Honey

Method
Wash your strawberries and blueberries in cold water under the tap, using a seive. On a chopping board, cut the stalks off the strawberries and cut the strawberries in half. Place your halved strawberries and whole blueberries into your bowl, and chop up your banana into equal sizes before adding that to the bowl, too. Top fruit with a couple of spoonfuls of low fat natural yoghurt, and some crushed walnuts, before drizzling a little honey on top to sweeten it.

I hope you guys have enjoyed reading this post! Let me know if you try anything, I'd love to know! 

Lots of Love,

Sam x


No comments:

Post a Comment